Monday 10 September 2012

Review: Urban Decay Naked Skin Foundation

Okay, I just couldn't help myself. A month ago, I was browsing through the Sephora website when I saw this in their New section. Since I absolutely adore BOTH of their Naked eye palettes, I couldn't help but read further and do a little research on Urban Decay's new Naked Skin Liquid Makeup.

Description
From reading the reviews, it sounded like most people really loved this product. Before I go into my thoughts, Urban Decay describes this foundation as weightless and virtually invisible. It's suppose to provide a demi-matte finish, while illuminating and brightening your skin. What I do love about this foundation is that it's paraben free. In the ingredient listing, it also highlights that it is infused with Matrixyl 3000, which is an anti-wrinkle peptide.

With a range of 18 colours, I found my perfect shade in 4.0. Just as a tip, the shades that end with .0 are warmer/yellow tones and the shades that end with .5 are cooler/pink tones. I do love the packaging - especially the pump.  Some people love the luxurious feel of a glass bottle, but I'm a little too practical to care. Glass is heavy and plastic is way lighter and much easier to pack for a weekend at the boyfriend's :)

After a good shake, the foundation is quite watery.

Pros
One pump will give you medium to full coverage. On work days, I use half a pump to even out my skin tone. It does a perfect job to hide the redness on my face and around my nose. Half a pump is the only time that I would consider this foundation to look virtually invisible. Anything more than a pump will begin to look heavy. I do love the coverage for half a pump though, and the shade really is perfect for my skin tone right now. 

As for staying power, I've read that some people didn't think it lasted, but I think it holds up pretty well. With a few extra steps and a little more powder, I really can make this foundation last from morning until night (In the picture, I've been wearing the foundation for 7 hours with minimal powder touch up). P.S. No break outs with this foundation either :)

Cons
As much as I am loving this foundation right now, I do know that this is not going to work for me in the winter. My skin will be way too dry, as even now, I have to be extra careful not to create any flakiness around my nose. For you ladies who have really dry skin, I highly urge you to try a sample before purchasing. If your skin is extremely dry, this foundation will highlight your pores and dry patches. As for the finish, it looks more matte than demi-matte on me. 

Note
I do want to make a note that there is no SPF protection in this foundation. However, it sort of worked out for me because SPF can make your face look white in flash photography. Since all my foundations have SPF, I figured I needed one in my collection without it :)  You can find Urban Decay's Naked Skin foundation at Sephora and a select few Shoppers Drug Mart. For a 30 ml bottle, it will set you back $45.

Final Thoughts
All-in-all, a great foundation and I'm happy I purchased it. I think it's great for the warmer months and perfect if you have normal to oily skin. As for me and my dry skin... I am going to wear this for as long as the weather will allow it :)


2 comments:

  1. I wanna try this one out.. I might just need to pick up a sample first bc I also get dryness around my nose. Thanks for the .0 tip!

    vickyhoang.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mixing a moisturizer with the foundation will help if you really want this to work for you :)

      Delete