Thursday 16 February 2012

Make-Up Sprays: MAC Fix+ vs. UD All-Nighter

I actually love both of these make-up sprays - and it took some research and some experimenting to find out the difference between the two. Let's start with MAC's Fix + Spray. On the website, MAC totes that this formula is a blend of vitamins and minerals that add radiance to your skin and finishes your make-up. For $24, you are getting 100 ml of product. I'd like to stress the fact that this is a make-up finishing spray and not a setting spray. This product is multi-functional, but it's not meant to keep your make-up on all day.

Here's why I love it:
  • It leaves a dewy radiance, that really finishes your entire look. Your skin looks healthy and refreshed. Tip: To avoid any of the spray droplets sitting too long on your face, set your blow dryer on low cool air and hold it about 10 inches away from your face.
  • It helps to tone down heavy make-up and cakey applications. Tip: Spray Fix+ directly onto your brush and lightly pat or swirl the product to remove the excess foundation (truly works wonders for me).
  • It helps build up the intensity of your eye shadows or blush. Tip: Spray your brush before dipping it into your desired product. You will find that the pigments become more intense and vibrant when you apply on your face.
  • Refreshes my make-up and skin mid-day. I had this product with me in my purse every day during the summer months. When it got too hot, and my face needed a pick-me-upper, I gravitated towards this to do the trick.
As much as I love the multi-functional purpose of MAC Fix+, it doesn't do anything for me in terms of setting my make-up to last all day. For that purpose, I would recommend using Urban Decay's All Nighter. It is a bit pricier of the two - $35 for 118 ml of product, but a little really goes a long way. I still have one third of a bottle left from when I bought it back in September and I use it every day. On the Urban Decay's website, this product boasts of a patent pending Temperature Control Technology that won't let your make-up melt in warm, humid weather or become dehydrated in the cold winter months. It also claims to have up to 16 hours of wearing power. The application for this spray is pretty straight forward. After you're done applying your make-up, shake the bottle and hold it  8-10" away from your face. The mist that comes out is evenly distributed which is nice. I usually spray 4 times across my face in a T shape.

I've just re-purchased my second bottle, which says a lot when I am always experimenting with new things. The All Nighter spray really works, and I don't leave the house without using it. However, to set expectations - I think 16 hours is quite an exaggeration. My make-up definitely looks BETTER 16 hours later than without... but I would say by the late afternoon, my make-up begins to dull - not bad though, considering I apply at 7 am.

I hope this post sheds a little light on the difference between a finishing and setting spray. I can't choose between the two, because to me, they perform two different functions.Thanks for reading, and happy shopping! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment