Tuesday 14 February 2012

BB Creams (Pt. 2)

I've been pretty particular with how I put on BB creams because they are a lot thicker than my favourite foundation, and the coverage is not quite the same. Due to the thick consistency of the product, I've had to forgo the stippling brush that I love so much. To avoid rambling on (since I really am so good at that), please see below for my step-by-step application process.

Step 1: PREP. On a clean face, apply your favourite moisturizer and eye cream. Since it's the winter time, I've been using a heavy duty one from Clinique (Moisture Surge Intense Skin Fortifying Hydrator).

Step 2:  NOSE & CHEEK. Put a pea size pump onto the back of your hand and work the product from the center of your face. I like to start at the bridge of my nose, and then work the product outwards to my cheeks. I find that the fingers are the best way to apply BB creams, as they warm up the product, making it easy to blend. Repeat on the other side of your face.

Step 3: FOREHEAD & CHIN. Still using the same pea size pump, work the product on you forehead and then chin - don't forget to bring the product down to your jawline and neck. Don't let the grey cast intimidate you - just keep on blending!

Step 4: FOCUS ON TROUBLE AREAS. At this point, I would've used up the entire pea size amount. If you require more coverage, proceed with a half pump on the back of your hand. I usually go back and gently pat on an additional layer on areas that require a bit more coverage. For me, these areas are underneath my eyes, around my nose and right above my eyebrows. I'd like to emphasize that the key word is pat. I don't rub in the product at this point - only enough so that there aren't any harsh lines. Don't be scared to be liberal with the amount you layer on - I find that no matter how much additional product I use, my skin still looks natural at the end.

Step 5: (optional) CONCEAL. If there are still visible blemishes at this point, you can use your favourite concealer to hide them. I don't normally do this step... not because there aren't any spots, I'm just too lazy to do anything about it :p.  

When you're completely done, you may find that the finish is too dewey. I can see how some people may find it heavy. However, once it's been absorbed and the product oxidizes to match the colour of your skin, the dewiness subsides and so does the heaviness of the product.

Step 6: MAKE-UP. Put on the rest of your face.

Step 7: BLOT & SET. For those of you who have oily skin, you can set your face with your favourite loose powder. Because my skin is extra dry in the winter, I haven't had to do this. It will probably be incorporated into my routine as the weather gets warmer. I find that if you blot gently before you set your face, your make up lasts a lot longer too. To blot, take a piece of tissue, pull it apart so that you have two thin pieces. Save one for the next day and use the other one by pressing it firmly on your face. Proceed then to firmly set your face with your powder. For now, I skip this step and just use a make-up setting spray (I'll save that post for another day).

TA-DA!  You're ready to go :)

No comments:

Post a Comment